Chocolate is one of the most toxic things your pet can consume.

“Chocolate contains methylxanthines and caffeine, both are very toxic to pets,” says PEOPLE Pet Vet Dr. Evan Antin. “Dark chocolate is far more dangerous. All chocolates are dose-dependent meaning more chocolate is more deadly. Small amounts may not be a concern but definitely consult your vet immediately either way.”

Unfortunately, chocolate isn’t the only harmful food your pet can accidentally consume. Onions, garlic, grapes, raisins and more fill out the list of Dr. Evan Antin’s most dangerous foods for pets.

If your pet does accidentally eat any of the foods listed above, it’s important to see a veterinarian right away. If you want to take action before visiting the vet, there is a poison control number for pets.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

%d bloggers like this: